It’s been such a long time since I’ve actually been able to enjoy some cereal at home! Before I came across Seven Sundays cereal, I had never seen any simple ingredient, grain-free, paleo cereal in my local grocery stores. Plus, I love that they have a little protein too because of the sunflower protein. I was a MAJOR cereal lover when I was younger, so I’m excited to have a better cereal option nowadays!
In school, I used to get SO excited when we’d get cereal bars as a snack! Do you remember those? There was a Cinnamon Toast Crunch one, a Trix one, Reese’s Puffs one, Lucky Charms one, and soooo many others. I recently took a look at their ingredients and they are FILLED with sketchy ingredients! I’ll post a photo so that you can see. This ingredient list is for the Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal treat bars.
I decided to make my own version of a cereal bar and, since Valentine’s Day is coming up, I thought a chocolate strawberry cereal bar would be perfect! You just need a few simple ingredients to put these cereal bars together. I use Seven Sundays real cocoa cereal, but you can use your favorite chocolate cereal! For the jam, I use the St. Dalfour strawberry fruit spread because it doesn’t have any added sugar. The freeze-dried strawberries I use are from Natierra Superfoods, but use whatever you have or your local grocery store has. Just make sure that the only ingredient is freeze-dried strawberries! For the chocolate sauce, I use the Hu Kitchen dark chocolate gems mixed with coconut oil. SO EASY!
PALEO | REFINED SUGAR-FREE | GRAIN-FREE
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond butter
- 1/4 cup strawberry fruit spread (St. Dalfour)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups grain-free chocolate cereal (Seven Sundays)
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries (Natierra Superfoods)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate gems or dark chocolate chips (Hu Kitchen)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Line a 8×8 inch square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the almond butter, strawberry fruit spread, and maple syrup in a small pot and place on the stovetop on low heat.
- Heat the ingredients together until everything is well incorporated, about 3-5 minutes, then turn off the heat and take the pot off the heat. Add in the vanilla extract and stir together.
- Add the chocolate cereal to a large bowl. Crush the freeze dried strawberries with your hands and add to the bowl.
- Add the almond butter mixture to the cereal and freeze dried strawberries. Mix together until well incorporated.
- Add the mixture to the 8×8 inch pan and use your hands to press it all together into the pan. Use a parchment paper between the cereal bar mixture and your hands while you’re pressing down so that your hands don’t stick. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight, to allow them to set.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 9-12 cereal bars.
- Melt the dark chocolate gems or dark chocolate chips with the coconut oil in the microwave (in 15-20 second increments) or using the DIY double boiler method.
- Dip the bottom of each bar into the dark chocolate sauce and place upside down on a piece of parchment paper. Repeat with the rest of the cereal bars.
- Place in the fridge for the chocolate to set and drizzle the leftover chocolate sauce onto the tops of the cereal bars (optional). Store in your favorite container in the fridge.