Y’all, I am so excited to share this recipe! Lately, I’d been thinking about this restaurant called La Palapa that my family and I used to go to every Sunday after church. They served the BEST Mexican food! I was such an enchilada girl, so I always ended up ordering their enchiladas with some refried beans and Mexican rice on the side. I remember the servers at that restaurant knew our family already and knew what our orders were. We always started off with choriqueso as our appetizer. I was OBSESSED with their choriqueso! The combination of cheese and chorizo is literally perfection. Something about the way they made their choriqueso just made it so addicting! Omg my mouth is literally watering right now!
I had been craving choriqueso lately and made it a point to whip something up! Luckily, there are now a lot more paleo, cleaner ingredient products available at my local grocery stores. I picked up some Siete mild nacho cashew queso and Mulay’s chorizo and put together a DELICIOUS dairy-free choriqueso recipe! If you have your favorite go-to homemade dairy-free queso that you like, you can totally use that for this recipe. After I made this recipe, my boyfriend and I literally almost ate the entire thing! We used some Siete lime chips for dipping because they’re our absolute favorite grain-free chips. It’s seriously so good! If you’ve never had choriqueso before and don’t do well with dairy, you gotta give this recipe a try! Plus, it’s honestly so dang easy!
- 1/2 packet of Mulay’s chorizo
- 1 jar Siete mild nacho cashew queso
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- diced onion, for garnish
- fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat cast iron skillet, or any skillet, over medium heat.
- Once heated, add in the 1/2 packet of Mulay’s chorizo. Break the chorizo up into very small pieces and let it cook until no pink is showing.
- After the chorizo is done cooking, place the chorizo onto a paper towel lined plate to allow the fat to drain off.
- Wipe down the skillet, lower the heat to low, and add in the jar of cashew queso.
- Add in the spices and mix until well incorporated. Once heated through, turn off the heat and remove the skillet from the heat.
- To assemble, grab the dish you’re going to be serving it in. Add in chorizo to the bottom of the dish, leaving some aside to top the finished product with.
- Pour the cashew queso all over the chorizo that’s in the dish.
- Garnish the choriqueso with the leftover chorizo, diced onion, and chopped cilantro.
- Devour the choriqueso with your favorite tortilla chips!