Beef barbacoa is something I’ve been missing out on for a long while now. It’s really near and dear to my heart because my family and I used to eat some every weekend for breakfast/brunch! Most of the time, we’d just purchase it from a store, bring it home, and make some delicious barbacoa con huevo tacos with it. The weekends were my absolute favorite just because I knew we were going to have some barbacoa in the morning! I mean, have you smelled barbacoa before? SO GOOD! When I started switching over to clean eating and started becoming more aware of what I was actually putting into my body, I completely stopped eating barbacoa. I didn’t know how to make it at home and didn’t trust buying it from the store because I had no idea what they were using to make it! One day, I had a major craving for it and decided try and make some barbacoa! This recipe is made in the slow cooker and uses a few simple ingredients!
Paleo | Whole30
*Feeds 4 – 6 people (depending on portion sizes)
- 2 lbs. rump roast or chuck roast, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle powder (optional; if you want it spicy)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- juice from 2 limes
- 1/2 cup beef bone broth
- Himalayan salt, to taste
- Add everything, except for the meat and bay leaves, to a small bowl and mix together.
- Season the cubed meat with Himalayan salt and black pepper.
- Place the meat into the slow cooker and pour in the sauce.
- Mix everything around and coat the meat with the sauce as best as you can. Add in the bay leaves.
- Let it cook for 3-4 hours on HIGH or 5-6 hours on LOW.
- Once cooked, remove the bay leaves, place meat cubes onto a plate and use a fork, or two forks, to shred the meat.
- Add the meat back to the slow cooker and coat with the sauce. Add the lid back to the slow cooker and let it cook for another 10 minutes to allow the meat to absorb the sauce.
- Serve on some cauliflower rice or make some yummy tacos!