I don’t know about you guys, but I am such a sucker for short ribs. They are DELICIOUS! These balsamic braised short ribs are requested quite a bit from my boyfriend. This dish is one of his favorite dishes that I make! They are so juicy, tender, and literally just fall off the bone. Omg. I’m currently salivating just thinking about these short ribs! The balsamic vinegar and fresh thyme pair wonderfully together. The balsamic vinegar adds a subtle sweetness and the fresh thyme adds an herby note to this dish. Also, this recipe is paleo and whole30 compliant, so you know I’ll be making these short ribs on repeat for my January Whole30!
This recipe is so easy to put together! You just start off by chopping up all of your veggies, season and sear the short ribs, sauté and season the veggies, add in all other ingredients, and cook it in the oven for 2 – 2.5 hours. I used my absolute favorite Lodge 12-inch cast iron skillet to sear and cook the short ribs, but you can use a dutch oven if you don’t have the cast iron skillet. It will work just as great! I also used beef bone broth for this recipe, but you could use unsalted beef broth or even water. If you do use water, just make sure to adjust the seasonings to your liking. This dish would be great to have at your Christmas festivities and I promise you everyone will love it.
Paleo | Whole30
- avocado oil
- 2 lbs. bone-in short ribs
- 3 large celery sticks, thickly sliced
- 3 medium parsnips, cut into thick 2-inch strips
- 3 medium carrots, cut into thick 2-inch strips
- 6 cremini mushrooms, cut into 4ths
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups beef bone broth or unsalted beef broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- sprig of thyme
- himalayan salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet or dutch oven on stove at medium-high heat.
- Season the short ribs with Himalayan salt and black pepper.
- Once skillet or dutch oven is heated, add in a little avocado oil and sear the short ribs on all sides until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the short ribs from the pan and place onto a plate. Add the veggies to the pan and sauté with some Himalayan salt and black pepper for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chopped fresh thyme and sauté for another minute.
- Add the short ribs back to the pan and add in the beef bone broth.
- Pour the balsamic vinegar all over the ribs and veggies and place both the sprig of thyme and bay leaf in the pan.
- Cover the pan with foil and cook for about 2 – 2.5 hours until they are tender and fall off the bone.
- Optional step: Once done, remove the veggies and ribs from the pan, skim the fat from the top, and let the sauce reduce down over medium heat.
- Garnish with some more fresh thyme overtop and serve it up!