This breakfast sandwich reminds me so much of my childhood! Growing up, my mom would make me my favorite breakfast all the time before going to school. I would wake up every morning looking forward to breakfast because I knew what it was going to be! It was a breakfast sandwich that had ham, egg, and strawberry jam inside and was bursting with delicious sweet and salty flavor. Every time she’d ask me what I wanted for breakfast, it was always this breakfast sandwich!
I decided to make a paleo version because, to be honest, sometimes I just want a sandwich for breakfast! All you need for this recipe is paleo bread, bacon, egg, jam, and ghee. That’s it! To replace the wheat bread, I used the original Mikey’s english muffins, which I am obsessed with because they’re paleo and only have 8 simple ingredients. I always find them at my local Natural Grocers and H-E-B. Instead of ham, I used Garrett Valley no sugar added bacon. You can honestly use whatever protein you love, like sausage patties, ham, turkey, literally anything! For the jam I used the St. Dalfour strawberry fruit spread because it is sweetened with fruit juice, but of course you can use homemade jam if you prefer. I actually have a homemade strawberry jam recipe, so if you are interested in the recipe let me know! If you tolerate dairy, you could totally add some cheese to the sandwich and I bet it would taste amazing. Oh, and of course this sandwich wouldn’t be complete without a smear of ghee on the english muffins!
I know this sounds like such a simple breakfast sandwich, but I can assure you that it is full of flavor! If you are obsessed with the combo of sweet and salty food, you’ll love this recipe! Plus, it’s really easy and you probably already have the ingredients on hand.
- 1 original Mikey’s english muffin
- 2 slices no sugar added bacon, cut in half
- 1 egg
- strawberry jam
- Heat pan on medium heat and add in a bit of avocado oil to the pan when heated. You won’t need much oil since the bacon will render off a bit of fat.
- Cut the bacon slices in half, place them into the pan, and cook them until nice and crispy.
- Once they are crispy, place them onto a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Now, cook your egg to your desired preference. Sunny-side up eggs are my favorite, but you can do scrambled, over-easy, over-medium, whatever you prefer! I usually use the leftover bacon fat to fry my eggs, but you could totally get rid of the fat and replace it with more avocado oil if you prefer.
- While the egg is cooking, toast up the english muffin. I used my toaster oven for this.
- After they toast, smear as much ghee and jam as you want onto the english muffin.
- Add your bacon and egg, close up the english muffin, and you’ve got yourself a delicious paleo breakfast sandwich!