Breakfast is seriously my favorite meal of the day. I always wake up looking forward to eating breakfast before I get my day going. I know mornings can get busy, so I love to make quick and easy one-pan breakfasts to save time and dishes (let’s be real, I hate doing dishes!). What I love about this recipe is that it’s so versatile. I usually just open my fridge, see what veggies and protein I have on hand, throw everything into a skillet, and top it all off with some eggs and toppings of choice. So easy!
Lately, my go-to breakfast has been my plantain one-pan breakfast hash. It’s loaded with veggies, protein, and healthy fats, making it a nutrient-dense and filling meal. This recipe makes enough for me alone. I know the amount of veggies may sound like a bunch, but anyone who knows me well knows that I load all the veggies in my breakfast hash! Feel free to scale the ingredients down a bit if you’d like.
This dish starts off with pan frying the plantains until golden brown, then frying up the sausage until crisp, sautéing the onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms, and adding everything back into the pan along with the spinach. Lastly, fry up some pasture-raised eggs and top it off with avocado and Siete hot sauce!
- avocado oil (I used the Chosen Foods)
- half sausage link (I used TWR grass-fed beef sausage)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 – 1/2 small sliced onion
- 1/4 – 1/2 small sliced bell pepper
- half medium ripe plantain cut into ~1/2 inch rounds
- 3/4 cremini mushrooms, cut in half then sliced
- handful of spinach
- himalayan salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- half an avocado, sliced (optional)
- drizzle of Siete jalapeño hot sauce (optional)
- Heat the pan on medium heat and add avocado oil to coat the pan.
- Pan fry the plantain rounds until golden brown. Flip and fry the other side.
- Remove and place rounds on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle a little salt on them as soon as you remove them.
- Add more avocado oil to the pan and add in sliced sausage. Fry until crisp.
- Add in the sliced bell peppers and onions and sauté until onions become translucent.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and saute until crisp and slightly softened.
- While the mushrooms are sautéing, cut the plantain rounds into fourths and add them back into the pan.
- Add in the handful of spinach, along with the spices, until slightly wilted.
- Remove sausage and veggie mixture from pan onto serving plate.
- Add some avocado oil into the pan and cook up the eggs until preferred doneness.
- Top the hash off with the eggs, sliced avocado, and hot sauce.